Background: Despite the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) only the 20-30% of treated patients present long term benefits. The metabolic changes occurring in the gut microbiota metabolome are herein proposed as a factor potentially influencing the response to immunotherapy.Methods: The metabolomic profiling of gut microbiota was characterized in 11 patients affected by non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with nivolumab in second-line treatment with anti-PD-1 nivolumab. The metabolomics analyses were performed by GC-MS/SPME and H-1-NMR in order to detect volatile and non-volatile metabolites. Metabolomic data were processed by statistical profiling and chemometric analyses.Results: Four out of 11 patients (36%) presented early progression, while the remaining 7 out of 11 (64%) presented disease progression after 12 months. 2-Pentanone (ketone) and tridecane (alkane) were significantly associated with early progression, and on the contrary short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) (i.e., propionate, butyrate), lysine and nicotinic acid were significantly associated with long-term beneficial effects.Conclusions: Our preliminary data suggest a significant role of gut microbiota metabolic pathways in affecting response to immunotherapy. The metabolic approach could be a promising strategy to contribute to the personalized management of cancer patients by the identification of microbiota-linked "indicators" of early progressor and long responder patients.

Gut metabolomics profiling of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients under immunotherapy treatment / Botticelli, Andrea; Vernocchi, Pamela; Marini, Federico; Quagliariello, Andrea; Cerbelli, Bruna; Reddel, Sofia; Del Chierico, Federica; Di Pietro, Francesca; Giusti, Raffaele; Tomassini, Alberta; Giampaoli, Ottavia; Miccheli, Alfredo; Zizzari, Ilaria Grazia; Nuti, Marianna; Putignani, Lorenza; Marchetti, Paolo Journal of Trans. - In: JOURNAL OF TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE. - ISSN 1479-5876. - 18:1(2020), pp. 1-10. [10.1186/s12967-020-02231-0]

Gut metabolomics profiling of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients under immunotherapy treatment

Botticelli, Andrea;Marini, Federico;Cerbelli, Bruna;Reddel, Sofia;Di Pietro, Francesca;Giusti, Raffaele;Tomassini, Alberta;Giampaoli, Ottavia;Miccheli, Alfredo;Zizzari, Ilaria Grazia;Nuti, Marianna;Putignani, Lorenza
;
2020

Abstract

Background: Despite the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) only the 20-30% of treated patients present long term benefits. The metabolic changes occurring in the gut microbiota metabolome are herein proposed as a factor potentially influencing the response to immunotherapy.Methods: The metabolomic profiling of gut microbiota was characterized in 11 patients affected by non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with nivolumab in second-line treatment with anti-PD-1 nivolumab. The metabolomics analyses were performed by GC-MS/SPME and H-1-NMR in order to detect volatile and non-volatile metabolites. Metabolomic data were processed by statistical profiling and chemometric analyses.Results: Four out of 11 patients (36%) presented early progression, while the remaining 7 out of 11 (64%) presented disease progression after 12 months. 2-Pentanone (ketone) and tridecane (alkane) were significantly associated with early progression, and on the contrary short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) (i.e., propionate, butyrate), lysine and nicotinic acid were significantly associated with long-term beneficial effects.Conclusions: Our preliminary data suggest a significant role of gut microbiota metabolic pathways in affecting response to immunotherapy. The metabolic approach could be a promising strategy to contribute to the personalized management of cancer patients by the identification of microbiota-linked "indicators" of early progressor and long responder patients.
2020
immunotherapy; gut metabolomics profiling; NSCLC
01 Pubblicazione su rivista::01a Articolo in rivista
Gut metabolomics profiling of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients under immunotherapy treatment / Botticelli, Andrea; Vernocchi, Pamela; Marini, Federico; Quagliariello, Andrea; Cerbelli, Bruna; Reddel, Sofia; Del Chierico, Federica; Di Pietro, Francesca; Giusti, Raffaele; Tomassini, Alberta; Giampaoli, Ottavia; Miccheli, Alfredo; Zizzari, Ilaria Grazia; Nuti, Marianna; Putignani, Lorenza; Marchetti, Paolo Journal of Trans. - In: JOURNAL OF TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE. - ISSN 1479-5876. - 18:1(2020), pp. 1-10. [10.1186/s12967-020-02231-0]
File allegati a questo prodotto
File Dimensione Formato  
Botticelli_Gut-metabolomics-profling_2020.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Documento in Post-print (versione successiva alla peer review e accettata per la pubblicazione)
Licenza: Creative commons
Dimensione 1.18 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
1.18 MB Adobe PDF

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11573/1368590
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 70
  • Scopus 122
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 112
social impact