BACKGROUND: The determination of thyroid volume (TV) is required for the management of thyroid diseases. Since two-dimensional ultrasonography (2D-US) has become the accepted method for the assessment of TV (2D-US-TV), we verified whether it accurately assesses postsurgical measured TV (PS-TV). METHODS: In 92 patients who underwent total thyroidectomy by conventional cervicotomy, 2D-US-TV obtained by the ellipsoid volume formula was compared to PS-TV, determined by the Archimedes' principle. RESULTS: Mean 2D-US-TV (23.9 +/- 14.8 mL) was significantly lower than mean PS-TV (33.4 +/- 20.1 mL). Underestimation was observed in 77% of cases, and it was related to gland multinodularity and/or nodular involvement of the isthmus, while 2D-US-TV matched the PS-TV in the remaining 21 cases (23%). A mathematical formula, to estimate PS-TV from US-TV, was derived using a linear model (Calculated-TV = [1.24 x 2D-US-TV]+ 3.66). Calculated-TV (mean value 33.4 +/- 18.3 mL) significantly (p < 0.01) increased from 21 (23%) to 31 (34%) of the cases that matched PS-TV. In addition, it significantly (p < 0.01) decreased from 77% to 27% the percentage of cases where PS-TV was underestimated as well as the range of the disagreement from 245% to 92%. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that 2D-US does not provide an accurate estimation of TV and suggests that it can be improved by a mathematical model different from the ellipsoid model. If confirmed in prospective studies, this may contribute to a more appropriate management of thyroid diseases.

A mathematical formula to estimate in vivo thyroid volume from two-dimensional ultrasonography / Pierpaolo, Trimboli; Ruggieri, Massimo; Fumarola, Angela; M., D'Alo'; Andrea, Straniero; Amelia, Maiuolo; Ulisse, Salvatore; D'Armiento, Massimino. - In: THYROID. - ISSN 1050-7256. - STAMPA. - 18:8(2008), pp. 879-882. [10.1089/thy.2007.0399]

A mathematical formula to estimate in vivo thyroid volume from two-dimensional ultrasonography

RUGGIERI, MASSIMO;FUMAROLA, Angela;ULISSE, SALVATORE;D'ARMIENTO, Massimino
2008

Abstract

BACKGROUND: The determination of thyroid volume (TV) is required for the management of thyroid diseases. Since two-dimensional ultrasonography (2D-US) has become the accepted method for the assessment of TV (2D-US-TV), we verified whether it accurately assesses postsurgical measured TV (PS-TV). METHODS: In 92 patients who underwent total thyroidectomy by conventional cervicotomy, 2D-US-TV obtained by the ellipsoid volume formula was compared to PS-TV, determined by the Archimedes' principle. RESULTS: Mean 2D-US-TV (23.9 +/- 14.8 mL) was significantly lower than mean PS-TV (33.4 +/- 20.1 mL). Underestimation was observed in 77% of cases, and it was related to gland multinodularity and/or nodular involvement of the isthmus, while 2D-US-TV matched the PS-TV in the remaining 21 cases (23%). A mathematical formula, to estimate PS-TV from US-TV, was derived using a linear model (Calculated-TV = [1.24 x 2D-US-TV]+ 3.66). Calculated-TV (mean value 33.4 +/- 18.3 mL) significantly (p < 0.01) increased from 21 (23%) to 31 (34%) of the cases that matched PS-TV. In addition, it significantly (p < 0.01) decreased from 77% to 27% the percentage of cases where PS-TV was underestimated as well as the range of the disagreement from 245% to 92%. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that 2D-US does not provide an accurate estimation of TV and suggests that it can be improved by a mathematical model different from the ellipsoid model. If confirmed in prospective studies, this may contribute to a more appropriate management of thyroid diseases.
surgery; thyroid disease; thyroid volume; ultrasound
01 Pubblicazione su rivista::01a Articolo in rivista
A mathematical formula to estimate in vivo thyroid volume from two-dimensional ultrasonography / Pierpaolo, Trimboli; Ruggieri, Massimo; Fumarola, Angela; M., D'Alo'; Andrea, Straniero; Amelia, Maiuolo; Ulisse, Salvatore; D'Armiento, Massimino. - In: THYROID. - ISSN 1050-7256. - STAMPA. - 18:8(2008), pp. 879-882. [10.1089/thy.2007.0399]
File allegati a questo prodotto
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11573/225611
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 3
  • Scopus 15
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 14
social impact