Purpose: Pulmonary hamartoma is the most common benign tumor of the lung. We analyzed a 20-year historical series of patients with pulmonary hamartoma undergoing surgical resection, aiming to evaluate the characteristics, the outcomes, and the association between hamartoma and lung cancer. Methods: It was a retrospective multicenter study including the data of all consecutive patients with pulmonary hamartoma undergoing surgical resection. The end-points were to evaluate: (i) the characteristics of hamartoma, (ii) outcomes, and (iii) whether hamartoma was a predictive factor for lung cancer development Results: Our study population included 540 patients. Upfront surgical or endoscopic resection was performed in 385 (71%) cases while in the remaining 155 (29%) cases, the lesions were resected 20 ± 3.5 months later due to increase in size. In most cases, lung sparing resection was carried out including enucleation (n = 259; 48%) and wedge resection (n = 230; 43%) while 5 (1%) patients underwent endoscopic resection. Only two patients (0, 2%) had major complications. One patient (0.23%) had recurrence after endoscopic resection, while no cases of malignant degeneration were seen (mean follow-up:103.3 ± 93 months). Seventy-six patients (14%) had associated lung cancer, synchronous in 9 (12%) and metachronous in 67 (88%). Only age > 70-year-old (p = 0.0059) and smokers > 20 cigarettes/day (p < 0.0001) were the significant risk factors for lung cancer. Conclusion: PH was a benign tumor, with no evidence of recurrence and/or of malignant degeneration after resection. The association between hamartoma and lung cancer was a spurious phenomenon due to common risk factors.

Pulmonary Hamartoma Associated With Lung Cancer (PHALC Study). Results of a Multicenter Study / Fiorelli, A.; D'Andrilli, A.; Carlucci, A.; Vicidomini, G.; Argento, G.; Trabalza Marinucci, B.; Ardissone, F.; Rapana, R.; Sobrero, S.; Carbognani, P.; Ventura, L.; Bocchialini, G.; Ragusa, M.; Tassi, V.; Sollitto, F.; Loizzi, D.; Ardo, N. P.; Anile, M.; Puma, F.; Rendina, E. A.; Venuta, F.; Serra, N.; Santini, M.. - In: LUNG. - ISSN 0341-2040. - 199:4(2021), pp. 369-378. [10.1007/s00408-021-00460-8]

Pulmonary Hamartoma Associated With Lung Cancer (PHALC Study). Results of a Multicenter Study

D'Andrilli A.;Argento G.;Trabalza Marinucci B.;Tassi V.;Anile M.;Rendina E. A.;Venuta F.;
2021

Abstract

Purpose: Pulmonary hamartoma is the most common benign tumor of the lung. We analyzed a 20-year historical series of patients with pulmonary hamartoma undergoing surgical resection, aiming to evaluate the characteristics, the outcomes, and the association between hamartoma and lung cancer. Methods: It was a retrospective multicenter study including the data of all consecutive patients with pulmonary hamartoma undergoing surgical resection. The end-points were to evaluate: (i) the characteristics of hamartoma, (ii) outcomes, and (iii) whether hamartoma was a predictive factor for lung cancer development Results: Our study population included 540 patients. Upfront surgical or endoscopic resection was performed in 385 (71%) cases while in the remaining 155 (29%) cases, the lesions were resected 20 ± 3.5 months later due to increase in size. In most cases, lung sparing resection was carried out including enucleation (n = 259; 48%) and wedge resection (n = 230; 43%) while 5 (1%) patients underwent endoscopic resection. Only two patients (0, 2%) had major complications. One patient (0.23%) had recurrence after endoscopic resection, while no cases of malignant degeneration were seen (mean follow-up:103.3 ± 93 months). Seventy-six patients (14%) had associated lung cancer, synchronous in 9 (12%) and metachronous in 67 (88%). Only age > 70-year-old (p = 0.0059) and smokers > 20 cigarettes/day (p < 0.0001) were the significant risk factors for lung cancer. Conclusion: PH was a benign tumor, with no evidence of recurrence and/or of malignant degeneration after resection. The association between hamartoma and lung cancer was a spurious phenomenon due to common risk factors.
File allegati a questo prodotto
File Dimensione Formato  
Fiorelli_Pulmonary-Hamartoma_2021.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Versione editoriale (versione pubblicata con il layout dell'editore)
Licenza: Creative commons
Dimensione 844.91 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
844.91 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri PDF

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11573/1640904
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 1
  • Scopus 1
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 1
social impact