Introduction: Isolated head tremor, a pathological condition characterized by head tremor without dystonic postures or tremor in other body parts, has recently been suggested to be a form of dystonia. It is however still unclear whether isolated head tremor precedes dystonia or remains unmodified overtime. Methods: We enrolled 20 patients with isolated head tremor. For each patient, we assessed videos recorded at enrollment and after 5 years. The videotapes were reviewed by two independent experienced movement disorder specialists who evaluated and scored tremor and CD severity using the Fahn-Tolosa-Marin Clinical Rating Scale for Tremor and the revised Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Rating Scale (TWSTRS), respectively. Results: Upon enrollment, all 20 patients showed isolated head tremor. Mean tremor severity was 2.7 ± 0.9 as measured using the Fahn-Tolosa-Marin Clinical Rating Scale for Tremor total score. At the 5-year follow-up examination, 15 (75%) of the 20 patients with isolated head tremor showed dystonic postures in the neck, while the remaining 5 patients (25%) had only isolated head tremor. Mean severity of dystonia as measured using the TWSTRS-2 total score was 11.8 ± 3.6. Head tremor severity was unchanged between baseline and the 5-year follow-up examination (p > 0.05). At the follow-up examination, no patients had tremor or dystonia in a body part other than the neck, nor did they develop bradykinesia or other parkinsonian signs. Conclusions: Our longitudinal study demonstrated that patients with isolated head tremor may develop cervical dystonia over time.

Longitudinal evaluation of patients with isolated head tremor / Ferrazzano, G.; Belvisi, D.; De Bartolo, M. I.; Baione, V.; Costanzo, M.; Fabbrini, G.; Defazio, G.; Berardelli, A.; Conte, A.. - In: PARKINSONISM & RELATED DISORDERS. - ISSN 1353-8020. - 94:(2022), pp. 10-12. [10.1016/j.parkreldis.2021.11.018]

Longitudinal evaluation of patients with isolated head tremor

Ferrazzano G.;Belvisi D.;De Bartolo M. I.;Baione V.;Costanzo M.;Fabbrini G.;Berardelli A.;Conte A.
2022

Abstract

Introduction: Isolated head tremor, a pathological condition characterized by head tremor without dystonic postures or tremor in other body parts, has recently been suggested to be a form of dystonia. It is however still unclear whether isolated head tremor precedes dystonia or remains unmodified overtime. Methods: We enrolled 20 patients with isolated head tremor. For each patient, we assessed videos recorded at enrollment and after 5 years. The videotapes were reviewed by two independent experienced movement disorder specialists who evaluated and scored tremor and CD severity using the Fahn-Tolosa-Marin Clinical Rating Scale for Tremor and the revised Toronto Western Spasmodic Torticollis Rating Scale (TWSTRS), respectively. Results: Upon enrollment, all 20 patients showed isolated head tremor. Mean tremor severity was 2.7 ± 0.9 as measured using the Fahn-Tolosa-Marin Clinical Rating Scale for Tremor total score. At the 5-year follow-up examination, 15 (75%) of the 20 patients with isolated head tremor showed dystonic postures in the neck, while the remaining 5 patients (25%) had only isolated head tremor. Mean severity of dystonia as measured using the TWSTRS-2 total score was 11.8 ± 3.6. Head tremor severity was unchanged between baseline and the 5-year follow-up examination (p > 0.05). At the follow-up examination, no patients had tremor or dystonia in a body part other than the neck, nor did they develop bradykinesia or other parkinsonian signs. Conclusions: Our longitudinal study demonstrated that patients with isolated head tremor may develop cervical dystonia over time.
2022
Cervical dystonia; Isolated head tremor; Longitudinal study; Movement disorders
01 Pubblicazione su rivista::01a Articolo in rivista
Longitudinal evaluation of patients with isolated head tremor / Ferrazzano, G.; Belvisi, D.; De Bartolo, M. I.; Baione, V.; Costanzo, M.; Fabbrini, G.; Defazio, G.; Berardelli, A.; Conte, A.. - In: PARKINSONISM & RELATED DISORDERS. - ISSN 1353-8020. - 94:(2022), pp. 10-12. [10.1016/j.parkreldis.2021.11.018]
File allegati a questo prodotto
File Dimensione Formato  
Ferrazzano_Longitudinal evaluation_2022.pdf

solo gestori archivio

Tipologia: Versione editoriale (versione pubblicata con il layout dell'editore)
Licenza: Tutti i diritti riservati (All rights reserved)
Dimensione 358.1 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
358.1 kB Adobe PDF   Contatta l'autore

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11573/1617756
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 3
  • Scopus 10
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 7
social impact