The district of San Lorenzo in Rome, so called because of its proximity to the basilica of the same name, has a historical fabric and particular morphological and environmental characteristics. Built on farmland belonging to the bourgeoisie at the end of the 1800s, it attracted migrants who saw a certainty of work in the thriving building. At the base of the building, which took place without planning, there was the need to build cheap high-density dwellings for the working class, craftsmen and the people, taking advantage of the absence, until 1887, of a city building regulation. In 1909 the Sanjust Plan provides for the completion but does not heal the degraded building fabric. During the Great War the war industry implemented the development of urban transport by rail and the urbanization of the land of Casal Bruciato transformed San Lorenzo from a suburban border into a transition area between the intramural city and the periphery. In 1962 the Master Plan provides for the construction of the East Tangenziale and excludes it from investments. Today the social and structural conditions, the high building density with reduced road sections, the organic lack of greenery and services require a reorganization process. The Urban Project of the municipality of 2006 identifies areas of valorisation, limited by building permeability and inhomogeneity. The Aurelian Walls, the Verano cemetery, the University City and the Rome Termini railway are strengths in the regeneration of the neighborhood that provides a connection to the areas of valorisation. The areas of intervention are: C10 - via de Lollis; C11 - Verano; D - bombed buildings; B7 - borghetto dei Lucani; C4 - Atac deposit.
The urban redevelopment project of San Lorenzo district in Rome / Belibani, Rosalba. - (2020), pp. 130-131. ((Intervento presentato al convegno 5th ISUFitaly International Conference Urban Substrata & City Regeneration tenutosi a Roma.