Epilepsy is one of the most common neurological disorder, affecting 5–8/1.000 individuals worldwide. Approximately 20–30 % of epilepsy cases are caused by acquired conditions such as stroke, tumor or head injury, but the remaining 70–80 % of cases are believed to be due to one or more genetic factors. In the last decade, advances in genomic technologies have led to a rapid increase in understanding of epilepsy genetics and to date, to the best of our knowledge, about 1000 genes have been associated with epilepsy. The aim of this study is to determine the contribution of some currently known disease-causing genes in a cohort of Italian patients affected by syndromic or non-syndromic forms of epilepsy. We designed a genes panel for Targeted Resequencing (TRS) containing 85 relevant epilepsy genes responsible for the most common epilepsy phenotypes known so far. A cohort of 49 patients (23 male and 26 female) with a clinical diagnosis of epilepsy, including both sporadic and familial cases, has been enrolled for the study and analyzed by TRS. This approach allowed us to identify variants in 25/49 (51%) patients analyzed. In detail, disease-causing mutations (classified as pathogenic or likely pathogenic following the American College of Medical genetics guidelines), has been identified in 10/25 (40%) affecting the genes ARX, GAMT, KCNQ2, MECP2, SCN1A, POLG, SPTAN1, STXBP1 and TCF4, while variants of uncertain clinical significance (VUS) has been identified in the remaining 15/25 patients (60%) affecting the genes ATP1A2, CACNB4, CLN3, CLN6, CNTN4, CACNA1H, CNTNAP2, GRIN2A, GRIN2B, KCNMA1, LIAS, POLG, PNKP, PRICKLE2, SCN1A, SCN2A, SPTAN1, SCN9A, TSC1. Next Generation Sequencing technologies have revolutionized our approach to genetic epilepsies both from research than clinical perspective. The identification of novel mutations in known epilepsy associated genes is useful to increase our knowledge about the molecular mechanisms of the disease. More importantly, our study highlight once again the utility of next generation sequencing in establishing an etiological basis in clinically and genetically heterogeneous conditions such as epilepsy. Knowing the genetic basis of the disease can be valuable not only for diagnosis but also for guiding treatment and, above all, estimating recurrence risk.
Targeted resequencing as diagnostic tool in patients with epilepsy / DI MURO, ESTER. - (2020 Feb 20).
|Titolo:||Targeted resequencing as diagnostic tool in patients with epilepsy|
|Data di discussione:||20-feb-2020|
|Appartiene alla tipologia:||07a Tesi di Dottorato|