To investigate the possibility of vestibular damage in a group of patients suffering from chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) using a diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs.

PURPOSE: To investigate the possibility of vestibular damage in a group of patients suffering from chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) using a diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs. METHODS: Twenty patients suffering from CIDP (mean age 58.5 years, range 33-80 years; 4 women and 16 men) were investigated. To assess any eventual audio-vestibular involvement, all patients of the study underwent pure tone audiometry, Fitzgerald-Hallpike caloric vestibular test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs. RESULTS: In 11 patients with CIDP values of both O-VEMPs and C-VEMPs were either absent or abnormal. An absent trace at O-VEMPs testing occurred in 36% of these pathological patients, whereas an increase of n10 latency and amplitude was present in the other 64% . CONCLUSIONS: A specific diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPS, O-VEMPS, could be useful when employed for identifying vestibular damage in CIDP patients.

Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: evaluation of the vestibular system with cervical and ocular vestibular evoked myogenic potentials / Magliulo, Giuseppe; Iannella, Giannicola; Libonati, Laura; Onesti, Emanuela; Angeletti, Diletta; Pace, Annalisa; Gulotta, Giampiero; Inghilleri, Maurizio. - In: EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF OTO-RHINO-LARYNGOLOGY. - ISSN 0937-4477. - 275:6(2018), pp. 1507-1512. [10.1007/s00405-018-4981-9]

Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: evaluation of the vestibular system with cervical and ocular vestibular evoked myogenic potentials

Magliulo, Giuseppe;Iannella, Giannicola;Libonati, Laura;Onesti, Emanuela;Angeletti, Diletta;Pace, Annalisa;Gulotta, Giampiero;Inghilleri, Maurizio
2018

Abstract

PURPOSE: To investigate the possibility of vestibular damage in a group of patients suffering from chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) using a diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs. METHODS: Twenty patients suffering from CIDP (mean age 58.5 years, range 33-80 years; 4 women and 16 men) were investigated. To assess any eventual audio-vestibular involvement, all patients of the study underwent pure tone audiometry, Fitzgerald-Hallpike caloric vestibular test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs. RESULTS: In 11 patients with CIDP values of both O-VEMPs and C-VEMPs were either absent or abnormal. An absent trace at O-VEMPs testing occurred in 36% of these pathological patients, whereas an increase of n10 latency and amplitude was present in the other 64% . CONCLUSIONS: A specific diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPS, O-VEMPS, could be useful when employed for identifying vestibular damage in CIDP patients.
2018
To investigate the possibility of vestibular damage in a group of patients suffering from chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) using a diagnostic protocol including the caloric test, C-VEMPs and O-VEMPs.
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy; VEMPs; Vertigo; Vestibular dysfunction; Adult; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Audiometry, Pure-Tone; Female; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Polyradiculoneuropathy, Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating; Vestibule, Labyrinth; Caloric Tests; Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potentials
01 Pubblicazione su rivista::01a Articolo in rivista
Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy: evaluation of the vestibular system with cervical and ocular vestibular evoked myogenic potentials / Magliulo, Giuseppe; Iannella, Giannicola; Libonati, Laura; Onesti, Emanuela; Angeletti, Diletta; Pace, Annalisa; Gulotta, Giampiero; Inghilleri, Maurizio. - In: EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF OTO-RHINO-LARYNGOLOGY. - ISSN 0937-4477. - 275:6(2018), pp. 1507-1512. [10.1007/s00405-018-4981-9]
File allegati a questo prodotto
File Dimensione Formato  
Magliulo_Chronic_2018.pdf

solo gestori archivio

Tipologia: Versione editoriale (versione pubblicata con il layout dell'editore)
Licenza: Tutti i diritti riservati (All rights reserved)
Dimensione 638.44 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
638.44 kB Adobe PDF   Contatta l'autore

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11573/1118004
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 6
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 5
social impact