BACKGROUND: The occlusion of superficial femoris artery (SFA) is a common feature in peripheral vascular disease, so the profunda femoris artery (PFA) is a crucial collateral pathway for the perfusion of the lower limb. The purpose of this study is to discuss the safety, clinical, and hemodynamic efficacy of profundoplasty on the basis of limb salvage, patency, and freedom from reintervention rates. Furthermore, this study aims to identify the risk factors linked to the failure of the procedure. METHODS: The study is based on a retrospective analysis of prospectively collected data of identified patients who underwent profundoplasty from March 2005 to October 2015. All patients showed a hemodynamic stenosis, extended from the posterior wall of the common femoral artery (CFA) into the origin of the PFA and concomitant occlusion of SFA. Endarterectomy with patch angioplasty was performed in all cases. In patients with concomitant iliac occlusive disease, a hybrid treatment was carried out to restore an adequate inflow through an endovascular approach. RESULTS: Seventy-four profundoplasty were performed during the study period. Isolate profundoplasty was performed in 56 cases (75.7%), while in the remaining 18 cases (24.3%), concomitant endovascular treatment of iliac lesions was performed. Hemodynamic success was achieved in 90.5% of the cases. The mean ankle-brachial index significantly improved, rising from 0.36 ± 0.17 preoperatively to 0.57 ± 0.20 postoperatively (P < 0.001). The median follow-up period was 33 months. Primary patency rate was 98.5% at 12, 36, and 60 months. Freedom from reintervention rate was 97% at 1 year and 95.3% at 3 and 5 years. Limb salvage rate was 96.9% at 1 year and 92.7% at 3 and 5 years. Survival rates were 86%, 60%, and 47.4% at 1, 3, and 5 years, respectively. Multivariate analysis identified Rutherford class 5 or 6 lesions as the strongest predictors of major amputation or reintervention (odds ratio, 9.37; confidence interval: 0.98-89.27; P = 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Profundoplasty is a durable, safe, and effective procedure in terms of clinical and hemodynamic results for patients characterized by occlusion of SFA and stenosis of CFA extended to profunda ostium. For patients with Rutherford category 5 and 6 ischemia, the only profundoplasty does not seem to be adequate, and concomitant distal bypass should be necessary to improve limb salvage and decrease reintervention rate.
The role of the profundoplasty in the modern management of patient with peripheral vascular disease / Taurino, Maurizio; Persiani, Francesca; Ficarelli, Roberta; Filippi, Federico; Dito, Raffaele; Rizzo, Luigi. - In: ANNALS OF VASCULAR SURGERY. - ISSN 0890-5096. - ELETTRONICO. - 45(2017), pp. 16-21. [10.1016/j.avsg.2017.05.018]
|Titolo:||The role of the profundoplasty in the modern management of patient with peripheral vascular disease|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2017|
|Citazione:||The role of the profundoplasty in the modern management of patient with peripheral vascular disease / Taurino, Maurizio; Persiani, Francesca; Ficarelli, Roberta; Filippi, Federico; Dito, Raffaele; Rizzo, Luigi. - In: ANNALS OF VASCULAR SURGERY. - ISSN 0890-5096. - ELETTRONICO. - 45(2017), pp. 16-21. [10.1016/j.avsg.2017.05.018]|
|Appartiene alla tipologia:||01a Articolo in rivista|