We initially devised this Research Topic (RT) as a valuable initiative to collect high-quality scientific articles from the participants of the 4th European Federation of Biotechnology (EFB) Microbial Stress meeting held in Kinsale, Ireland, April 2018. The scope of the RT is based on the scientific content of that “Microbial Stress: from Systems to Molecules and back” meeting. Indeed, over 40% of the articles eventually accepted for publication were contributed by meeting participants, but notably the remaining 60% was contributed by authors that work in this field. The collection of 22 original research and 2 review articles, contributed by 163 authors collectively, deal with the many different aspects of the microbial responses to biotic and abiotic stresses, relevant to many fields: from host-pathogen interactions to biotechnology, from bioremediation to food processing, from molecular and single-cell to population studies. The RT showcases the rapid developments of the microbial stress research on a range of microorganisms and stress conditions, and confirms that understanding microbial physiology under stress can be a trigger for the development of new methodologies as well as helping to integrate the knowledge from many different microbiological fields of research. The retrospective analysis of the articles contributed to this RT allowed them to be assigned to one of four main sub-topics: (i) impact of weak organic acids and low pH on micro-organisms, from clinical to biotechnological contexts; (ii) adaptive responses in microbial pathogens to abiotic/environmental stress; (iii) oxidative and metal stress, from clinical to bioremediation contexts, and (iv) regulation of transcription and translation under stress, from epigenetic aspects to the role of second messengers and sRNAs

Microbial stress. From sensing to intracellular and population responses / De Biase, Daniela; Morrissey, John; O'Byrne, Conor. - (2020). [10.3389/978-2-88966-024-7]

Microbial stress. From sensing to intracellular and population responses

Daniela De Biase;
2020

Abstract

We initially devised this Research Topic (RT) as a valuable initiative to collect high-quality scientific articles from the participants of the 4th European Federation of Biotechnology (EFB) Microbial Stress meeting held in Kinsale, Ireland, April 2018. The scope of the RT is based on the scientific content of that “Microbial Stress: from Systems to Molecules and back” meeting. Indeed, over 40% of the articles eventually accepted for publication were contributed by meeting participants, but notably the remaining 60% was contributed by authors that work in this field. The collection of 22 original research and 2 review articles, contributed by 163 authors collectively, deal with the many different aspects of the microbial responses to biotic and abiotic stresses, relevant to many fields: from host-pathogen interactions to biotechnology, from bioremediation to food processing, from molecular and single-cell to population studies. The RT showcases the rapid developments of the microbial stress research on a range of microorganisms and stress conditions, and confirms that understanding microbial physiology under stress can be a trigger for the development of new methodologies as well as helping to integrate the knowledge from many different microbiological fields of research. The retrospective analysis of the articles contributed to this RT allowed them to be assigned to one of four main sub-topics: (i) impact of weak organic acids and low pH on micro-organisms, from clinical to biotechnological contexts; (ii) adaptive responses in microbial pathogens to abiotic/environmental stress; (iii) oxidative and metal stress, from clinical to bioremediation contexts, and (iv) regulation of transcription and translation under stress, from epigenetic aspects to the role of second messengers and sRNAs
DE BIASE, Daniela; Morrissey, John; O'Byrne, Conor
File allegati a questo prodotto
File Dimensione Formato  
De Biase_Microbial Stress_E-book_2020.PDF

accesso aperto

Note: https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/6690/microbial-stress-from-sensing-to-intracellular-and-population-responses
Tipologia: Versione editoriale (versione pubblicata con il layout dell'editore)
Licenza: Creative commons
Dimensione 21.12 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
21.12 MB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri PDF

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11573/1439124
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact